[mythtv-users] CI / CI+ / CAM

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Fri Apr 13 20:43:14 UTC 2012

On 13.04.2012 22:20, Andre Hasekamp wrote:
> - Someone remarks: "they (MythTV developers) want nothing to do with
> CAM" (no problem if the first statement above from 2004 remains
> unconditionally true).

Thats one is easy. Using a CI Card with MythTV usually is a violation
of your providers terms of service and these ToS violations are off
limits here.

You can fix that by complaining to the EU Trade Commission, the
providers need to be forced to open up their services to every hardware.
(good luck on that one :)

> - Questions on CI / CAM are often not answered.

Thats likely because the knowledge is not widespread due to many
devs/users being from america which has Cable Card instead of CI/CAM
(the providers have been forced to provide this)

> Any reply will be welcome. If the issue remains unclear to me, I will
> have to resort to that single DVB-T card I have found so far in the Wiki
> documentation, which would support CI / CAM, while I must hope it will
> decrypt my DVB-T signal.

MythTV should support any CAM with decent LinuxTV support. I have seen
discussions about legal CAM usage over at MumuDVB, they seem to have
some good understanding about what hardware works well with linux as
they build headends that convert whole transports for resale etc.

Regards,
Karl

PS: I'm writing this from the top of my head, I have not verified if
all information is still accurate.