[mythtv-users] 0.25 audio output not working "correctly"

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 04:56:31 UTC 2012

On 14 April 2012 14:36, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> this is probably directly for JYA:
> I'm upgrading my parents setup and one of their ION machines refuses
> to play audio through Myth with ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia

there's no guarantee that this would be the right device to use..

You would probably have one like
ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7

> in mplayer -ao alsa:device=default works but -ao alsa:device=hdmi does not
>
> in 0.24 we used ALSA:hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7 to get it to work so I tried
> manually placing that in the database and it works.

> It works, so that makes me happy, but I assume this is not how it
> should be, so I'm throwing this out there as a possible bug.

not really... there are a few hdmi codec exposed, and they all appear
in alsa unfortunately.

With 0.25, and provided you have alsa 1.0.25 and later installed (or a
linux kernel > 3.2) ; then when you go into the audio setup and you
are using hdmi, you can actually see what's connected to the hdmi
output ; so it's actually quite easy to find the one that actually
works.

It will also show the capability of the device connected: TrueHD, DTS,
AC3 etc...