[mythtv-users] Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 15:39:47 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Christian Szpilfogel <chriszpml at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On 05/04/2012 10:25 PM, Larry K wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any reference or resource that exists to provide accurate,
>>> up-to-date guidance on setting up IR in myth?  Is LIRC really on the way
>>> out?  Some have said uninstall it and never look back.  Is v4l the best
>>> path forward?  And if so, how the keystrokes are mapped into myth?
>>>  xorg.conf, perhaps? Do the basic devinput names convey into myth
>>> automatically?  Did I miss the memo on all this?
>>>

>> Hi Larry,
>>
>> In general this depends on the drivers available and whether you need
>> special functions from LIRC. Not all drivers have been ported to become
>> in-kernel but the more popular ones seem to have been ported. To some
>> degree this also dictates whether you use devinput or /dev/lirc?. You can
>> check your driver to see which it takes.
>>
>> If you don't need functions such as irexec or irxevent then you don't
>> need to use LIRC anymore. I use irexec myself so I can shutdown myth from
>> my remote.
>>
>> I wrote a description of how all this hangs together. It is written in
>> the context of LinHES so while most of this holds true, some aspects such
>> as initialization files, may not be done the same as in your distro. This
>> wiki entry also describes various test points you can use to help you debug
>> the messaging as it goes through the layers.
>>
>> http://linhes.org/projects/**linhes/wiki/Architecture_and_**Customization<http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/Architecture_and_Customization>
>>
>> To be honest, I have not been involved nor have I followed most of this
>> IR development so this wiki entry is based on what I have determined in my
>> own quest to get things working. I just figured I would document it for the
>> benefit of others who I saw struggling. If more knowledgeable folks have
>> suggestions then feel free to let me know. I suppose I should link this
>> into the myth wiki in hind sight.
>>
>> Hope this helps point you in the right direction.
>>
>> Christian

> Very helpful diagram.
>
> What I am seeing is that with my MCE remote, with the LIRC service
> stopped, and with v4l-utils NOT installed, MythTV is partially responsive
> to the keystrokes of my remote.  Some keys work, and others do not.   For
> instance, the OK button does not work.  Per your diagram, is this
> interaction happening through a keyboard driver?  If so, it appears that I
> would control the key mappings to myth via the key bindings menu?  I have
> no experience messing with hose key bindings, but maybe now is the time to
> start.
>
> With LIRC, I know that ~/.mythtv/lircrc is where I control the key
> mappings.  Not knowing exactly how the key mappings is being handled
> outside LIRC is driving me crazy.
>
> Larry
>
> Let me try this again with perhaps a more clear, direct question:

In the absence of lirc, how can I tell what keystrokes are being received
on my MCE USB IR receiver?  For lirc, I use irw to determine this.

Once I know what keystrokes are being received, again, in the absence of
lirc, how do these get mapped to commands that myth understands?  For lirc,
I set this up the ~/.mythtv/lircrc file.

Hope that helps clarify my question.

Larry