[mythtv-users] WD TV Live Media Player as a UPnP front end end for Myth

R KANNAN rk111810 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 22:48:49 UTC 2012

Hello,

I bought a  Western Digital TV Live  Streaming Media player (Model #
WDBHG70000NBK-HESN) primarily to be used   as a UPNP front end for
Myth TV.  I thought I will share my experience with it.

This unit come with a HDMI/Composite output, wired and wireless
connection to network and digital optical audio output and a full
featured remote for under $100. It is very small about 4" x 4 " x 2"
in size.

The quick reference guide that came with the package was not very
helpful and I had to download the user manual in PDF.

WD TV Live found the Myth TV back end as a media server when I
connected it the wired network. The user interface is OK and I could
browse my recording collection.

The remote is compact and the controls are logically arranged. In
addition navigation and menu buttons, it also has numeric keypad.

The player was slow to start playing any video when selected. The
video output is in 1080p and is good.  The audio through optical
connection was in Dolby 5.1 & DTS digital and was very good.

It also came with access to services like YouTube, Netflix, Hulu Plus,
etc. But I was disappointed to see that there was no way to access a
web browser.  I found searching on-line services could be made easier
by connecting a USB keyboard to the player.

All in all, it was a good buy and I am happy with it.