[mythtv-users] SOLUTION: Mythvilldatabase was not running, log file did not exist

Robert M. Riches Jr. rm.riches at jacob21819.net
Tue Apr 17 01:17:05 UTC 2012

In case this might help someone else, one solution to the
problem of the automatic mythfilldatabase not running is
to create the log file, /var/log/mythfilldatabase.log

I'm running Mageia 1's mythtv-backend-0.24.1-20111019.0.1.mga1
and related packages, and after a while I found the program
listing was not being updated.  A scan of /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
showed an error message that mythfilldatabase could not open
its log file, /var/log/mythfilldatabase.log with permission
denied.

It seems rather odd that MythTV creates its own directory,
/var/log/mythtv, and then puts a log file elsewhere.  If
/var/log/mythfilldatabase.log doesn't already exist with
ownership and permissions to allow user mythtv to write to
it, said user won't be able to create the file.  I would
have thought mythtv-setup would create the log file with
proper ownership and permissions.

HTH

Robert