[mythtv-users] THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST (WAS: Re: Torc for iOS - Application Submitted to the App Store for Review)

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 01:43:14 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> * On Tue Apr 17, 2012 at 09:36:35AM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
>> > This mailing list is for the support of MythTV users using MythTV
>> > and is not to be used for advertisement or support of any
>> > commercial products, whether they be MythTV related or not.
>> >
>> > Please continue this discussion elsewhere.
>>

>> Oh come off it Chris, this is of high interest to many people. If that
>> is the case please make sure you never discuss schedules direct, which
>> charges.
>
> Schedules Direct doesn't come into the -users list for support. SD has
> its own forums.  SD is also a non-profit.  If Hauppauge or Ceton or
> NVidia or ATI or Intel or anyone else came in here advertising or
> using this as a support channel for their commercial products, we'd
> say the same thing to them.

OK so if someone else came on the list and said "hey Robert has
submitted a great app to the apple store and because he has to cover
some costs its gonna be $3.99, Here is his web page for info, and
he'll answer any questions for you" that would be OK - It must be
because we see third parties freely posting about bargains on newegg
every week, and announcing new versions of hdhomeruns, and ceton this
and so on. However if silicon dust announced a new product that might
benefit myth users, that wouldn't be?

In short I see Robert's post more as announcement that advertisement.
He didn't offer to support it on this list, although he could perhaps
have made it clear he wanted questions off list.