[mythtv-users] Commercial detection in the UK (Was: THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST (WAS: Re: Torc for iOS - Application Submitted to the App Store for Review))

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Tue Apr 17 10:40:42 UTC 2012

> On Tue, April 17, 2012 05:28, Christopher Kerr wrote:
>
> > But frankly my complaints are much broader than that. MythTV 0.25 took
> > about 18 months, and ultimately failed to deliver:
> >
> > - Any improvements at all to the utterly broken state of commercial
> > detection in Australia and the UK
>
> If you know of an algorithm that actually works for commercial detection
> in the UK, please write it up so that someone else might implement it.
> Commercial detection is hard, and the UK seems to be far less consistent /
> obvious at advert transitions than the US, which is the reason it is
> "utterly broken" over here.
>
> Chris. (Seeker` on IRC)

I'm in Australia, so I can't speak to whether the problems users have in
the UK (and there's plenty of threads on this list attesting to their
existence) have the same root cause as here. What I can say is that here,
the only channel I get consistent "commercial" detection on is the
non-commercial ABC!

I'm happy to contribute samples of commercial transitions if it's useful.

- Chris Kerr (theSeekerr should I happen to be on IRC - I note it only
because I'm amused by the similarity)