[mythtv-users] Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one?

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 20:12:13 UTC 2012

I've just installed MythTV 0.25 on my test rig, and while I'm
generally incredibly impressed by it I'm afraid I have to agree with
the various people who've already bemoaned the move away from
directory tree structure for music selection.

Having said that, I'm happy to accept that at the end of the day, I
can't write the code so I have to take what's available and get on
with it.

My kids however find it impossible to get their little minds around
the new system (and dad isn't much better off to be honest), so I'll
need to find an alternative.

Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, and conscious that compiling the
old 0.24.x MythMusic to work with 0.25 is a very temporary solution at
best, I'd like to know if anyone else out there uses alternative music
players that implement the same sort of ARTIST/ALBUM/SONG structure
that the old MythMusic used and can be controlled simply with a remote
control (no keyboards on any of my eight MythTV systems).

I recall briefly seeing the likes of Banshee and Amarok, and if memory
serves, they follow the same sort of concept of the 0.25 MythMusic, so
they're out (I believe).

Cheers
Gordon