[mythtv-users] Can I have dual audio out? Hdmi and spdif

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 09:16:00 UTC 2012

On 18 April 2012 15:27, Kevin Johnson <dabears_rule at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
> I have been searching for a while and cant quite come up with an answer.
> I have tried all possible settings in the audio setup section of mythtv.  But I can never get both to output at the same time.
> I would like to be able to have the hdmi portion go to the tv, and the spdif go to my receiver at the same time?  Possible or no?
> I have a link to all my alsa information and kernel version here as there is a lot of info.
> I am using mythbuntu .24 with the latest fixes.
> Thanks to all.

You can create a custom ALSA device by adding an entry to ~/.asoundrc
; that will output to both device at the same time.
You have to keep the following limitations in mind:
-You won't be able to do digital passthrough
-It will be stereo only

At this stage, and in the forthcoming future, Myth can only write to
one audio device at a time and can only manage audio and video sync
with one device.
Managing more than one is actually far from being easy