[mythtv-users] 0.25 audio output not working "correctly"

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Wed Apr 18 17:35:17 UTC 2012

On 04/13/2012 09:56 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> in mplayer -ao alsa:device=default works but -ao alsa:device=hdmi does not
>
> in 0.24 we used ALSA:hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7 to get it to work so I tried
> manually placing that in the database and it works.
>> It works, so that makes me happy, but I assume this is not how it
>> should be, so I'm throwing this out there as a possible bug.
> not really... there are a few hdmi codec exposed, and they all appear
> in alsa unfortunately.
>
> With 0.25, and provided you have alsa 1.0.25 and later installed (or a
> linux kernel>  3.2) ; then when you go into the audio setup and you
> are using hdmi, you can actually see what's connected to the hdmi
> output ; so it's actually quite easy to find the one that actually
> works.
>
> It will also show the capability of the device connected: TrueHD, DTS,
> AC3 etc...

Hello Jean-Yves,

This leads me to a follow on question or clarification.

I have run the scan on 0.25.  After selecting the right nvidia device,
the boxes for the HD audio (TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc) are not grey'ed out,
but they are also not checked.  My receiver and nvidia card should
support these.

So I wasn't sure if the scan is telling me that those are not supported,
or if I should just go to those boxes and check them to enable them.

Michael