[mythtv-users] THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Apr 18 16:25:33 UTC 2012

At 08:59 -0700 18/4/12, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 07:18, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > It's technically against the GPL to publish it on the App Store, but
>>  there are plenty of applications that way..
>
>I have not followed the App Store offerings, and I am sure
>there are the "hidden exceptions", but I remember a number
>of "reports" that GPL'd apps in the App Store were being
>removed as they were identified.  Is that not still true?

Yes, that has happened. If Apple spot that a program is under GPL
then it will be pulled<period>.

And it's not "technically against the GPL", it is absolutely in
breach of the GPL. The author of an App for an iDevice is not able to
provide the source used to build the Apple as distributed. They can
provide the source to what they submit, but what is actually
distributed is different (Apple add the crippleware), and only Apple
can provide the source for the steps they apply (and I suspect Satan
will be trying out ice skating before they do that.)

Whatever we might think of that, it's how it is and isn't likely to
change soon.

--
Simon Hobson