[mythtv-users] OT: Predicted hard drive failure; replacement consideration

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 18:31:10 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Mark Boyum <circushair at boyum.us> wrote:
> So my wife txt'd me that our MythTV was displaying an error.
> Apparently one of my two recording drives is about to fail according
> to S.M.A.R.T.  (http://db.tt/HloTiIvB)
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this drive?  Using it mostly for
> Myth recordings and other media storage.
> http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST3000DM001/dp/B005T3GRLY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334772887&sr=1-1

At work I am having seriously high failure rates with Seagate drives
for the last 3+ years. I am talking about >8% annual failure rates out
of around 75 drives. I would stay away from them and get an hitachi
5K3000 or WDC green drive. We have had 1 hitachi failure in the same
time out of 30 or so 2TB drives and less than 10 WDC black failures
out of 50+ drives.

John