[mythtv-users] THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST (WAS: Re: Torc for iOS - Application Submitted to the App Store for Review)

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 00:32:39 UTC 2012

On 19 April 2012 05:13, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com> wrote:

> recoup costs, I believe the real reason Robert chose closed-source for
> that app was because Apple will not allow GPL apps, and thus he had no
> choice.  At that point, trying to recoup some of the investment (which

That is not correct at all.

You can submit GPL licensed app. As long as you accept Apple
distribution license, apple doesn't care whatsoever. Technically this
is a breach of the GPL as you can't further restrict through secondary
licenses.

Some GPL apps did get removed from the AppStore, but only after one of
the original copyright holder wrote to Apple to complain about a
breach of copyright (famous one is VLC for iOS)

This one for example:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/m-w-tire/id332100614?mt=8

it's based on Emu48 which is GPL (and I've had a fair amount of input
in the Emu48 project).

The author will send you the source of the application if you asked
him and you purchased the app.

If Robert chose closed-source based on the belief that GPL apps aren't
allowed, he's mistaken.