[mythtv-users] Invoke mythshutdown on the command line while testing

Yann Lehmann aristide at vtxmail.ch
Thu Apr 19 10:35:49 UTC 2012

Hi

Sorry for the long introduction.

I am preparing to upgrade my system from a combined desktop/mbe/fe under
0.21 (Kubuntu 8.04) to a dedicated mbe/fe with 0.25 (Mythbuntu 10.04
first, then 12.04 in the end).

My plan is to test the new system under Mythbuntu 10.04 with MythTV
0.23, then restore my 0.21 database on the new system and perform the
upgrade to 0.25 (the hd with my recordings will be moved from the old to
  the new system).

On the way, I am testing ACPI and mythwelcome.

The wiki article about Mythwelcome lists the parameters and return codes
of mythshutdown:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythwelcome#MythShutdown_program

But when I invoked mythshutdown on the command line while testing my
setup, I got no output.

By googling (*), I found that this is normal, as the output doesn't get
printed to the console.

To see the output, I had to run the mythshutdown command with the
"wanted" parameter, and then the command 'echo $?' to see the response.

May be this could be mentioned under the list of parameters in the wiki,
but 1) I don't know if it would be useful to other users and 2) I have
some respect about editing such a great and important wiki article myself.

Regards
Yann Lehmann

(*) see post #17 here:
http://www.mythtvtalk.com/turn-computer-remote-control-12049-2/