[mythtv-users] MythSystemEventHandler: Command '...' returned 1

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Thu Apr 19 18:01:49 UTC 2012

Raymond Wagner wrote:
> The System Event... system... was built on top of MythTV's existing
> event system.  Typically, connections to the backend protocol are led by
> the client.  The client sends a query, the backend responds with a
> result or error.  When you announce yourself to the backend, you have
> the option to reverse this.  The backend sends events, and the client
> does nothing, just handles them or ignores them.
>
> System Events are a variation on this, and while normal events are sent
> to any client that requests them, system events will only be sent to one
> client per host.  Since they trigger external commands, you only want
> them running once per host.  There is nothing controlling which client
> will be issued the event, so the only guarantee you have in that regard
> is that the master backend will be the one to handle it on its host.

Thanks for trying, but I'm non the wiser. After all this is mythtv-USERS ;-)

Assume the following:

host1 is running backend1 as user mythtv and frontend1 as user user1
command1 is set for system event "Playback started"

host2 is running frontend2 as user2
command2 is set for system event "Playback started"

Now there are two cases
case1
What happens if user1 on host1 starts watching a recording?

Am I right when command1 gets executed as user mythtv on host1 and
nothing happens on host2?
case2
What happens if user2 on host2 starts watching a recording?

Am I right when command2 gets executed as user2 on host2 and nothing
happens on host1?

At least that's what seems to happen when I try it out. So the question
still stands, why is command1 on host1 not executed as user1? Why can't
frontend1 talk to backend1 the same way frontend2 on host2 does? It's
not consistent. It shouldn't matter whether there is a backend running
on the same PC or somewhere else.