[mythtv-users] Can I get 5.1 audio from MythTV with this setting?

William Powers wepprop at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 12:46:00 UTC 2012

On Apr 19, 2012, at 8:54 PM, Igor Cicimov <icicimov at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the surround connected to the TV via HDMI (it's an entertainment unit with DVD player). I have the MythTV box connected to the TV via HDMI as well. I'm sending the audio from the TV to the surround system via optical cable (since the TV doesn't have ARC). Can I still get surround sound from MythTV with this connection?

You never know unless you try. My old Sony rear projection TV did not support it and I got used to it working that way. Come to find out, when I got a new Sony flat panel TV, I noticed sound coming out of the center and rear speakers while watching something over HDMI. It turns out MythTV, the satellite STB and the Blu-Ray player all work.

I'm sure there must be some fancy marketing term for it that you could look up in the specs, but I have no idea what it might be.