[mythtv-users] Disk Space Way Wrong

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 21:59:47 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 13:36, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> Correct.  If he's going to go off telling people their issues are caused by
> old known bugs, he needs to post a ticket so that we actually know its a
> bug.

I cannot more strongly agree with this.

Unless someone wishes the developers to move to the next
phase, and become omniscient.  It is not an issue until it
is in the (bug) tracking database.  I have had this exact
discussion with many others.  It is not going to be "known
to be broken" until it is documented.  It is not going to get
"resourced" until it can be documented as broken.

> ....  It's not a bug, it's an unsupported
> configuration that when used, is known to cause at least <whatever>
> incorrect behavior.

Here is where I have a slight problem.  If that space calculation
is used for decisions elsewhere in the code(s), which seems
likely, then the decision to do things like use the space,
or delete recordings, may be (wrongly) influenced by getting
the wrong values for free space.  Debugging those cases takes
time too (whether on the users list, or the dev list, or as tickets
for people for which things "do not work right").  Either the codes
should not follow symlinks (that cross file system boundaries),
warn the user and not startup if unsupported configurations are
found, or to (try to) correctly calculate the (free) space which will
be used to influence other MythTV behavior.  Pick your feature
request (without a patch :-).

Gary