[mythtv-users] Disk Space Way Wrong

Don Lewis dl-mythtv at catspoiler.org
Sat Apr 21 22:14:35 UTC 2012

On 21 Apr, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Ronald Frazier wrote:

>>So I have to go downstairs, drag a monitor over to it and hook it
>>up, do what I need, and then put everything away after I'm sure I've
>>done. Now, when I need to do something in mythtv-setup, that's fine.
>>But when I can do something in 5 seconds instead of several minutes,
>>I'm gonna spend the 5 seconds.
>
> Why do you waste all that time and effort ? I run mythtv-setup from
> my desk - just "ssh -X <user at backend address>" and fire up
> mythtv-setup. It fires up in an X session right here on my laptop.
> OK, many many years ago you needed to "know incantations" to get
> remote X displays working, but the "-X" (or "-Y") option in SSH does
> it all automagically.

Same here.  I've got a combined FE/BE, but I still run mythtv-setup more
frequently from my desktop using ssh than I do from the living room
where the FE/BE and TV are located since my desktop has a much more
ergonomic configuration for using a keyboard than what I've got in the
living room.

My only complaints are that mythtv-setup paints the screen very slowly
over ssh, and it takes over the entire screen.  I'm looking forward to
the upcoming switch to web based configuration.