[mythtv-users] Disk Space Way Wrong

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Apr 23 09:15:11 UTC 2012

On 23/04/12 05:53, Don Lewis wrote:
> On 22 Apr, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> On 21/04/12 23:14, Don Lewis wrote:
>
>>> My only complaints are that mythtv-setup paints the screen very slowly
>>> over ssh, and it takes over the entire screen.  I'm looking forward to
>>> the upcoming switch to web based configuration.
>>>
>> I do the same (mythtv-setup over SSH) and I've never seen slow painting of
>> screens. I suggest you look for other reasons for the slowdown.
>
> It's a 100 Mbit network and file transfers run at the expected speed. My
> first suspicion is the default painter.  The graphics card on my desktop
> probably doesn't support OpenGL very well.

My network is 100 Mbit too. As an extra complication, I'm running this via my
main server which I'm currently logged into via an LTSP 4.2 thin client. The
client runs a crappy SiS 760 video chip the driver of which is so bad I've
overridden it with the VESA driver... still no problems with the display. I can
do anything with myth from the thin client except display video, as you might
expect.

>> Why complain that it takes over the entire screen? When I'm doing setup I want
>> my entire attention to be on a task that it's very easy to screw up. While it's
>> away doing things I can always Alt+Tab to whatever else I have open.
>
> When I do the delete all capture cards and input sources dance, it would
> be nice to be able to view my configuration notes in another window
> while adding everything back again.  It would also be nice to be able to
> copy and paste the channel changer commands to avoid typos.  On several
> occasions I've had recording failures due to incorrectly typed channel
> changer commands.

Yeah, that can be a pain. Alt+Tab is what I use and it's enough. Cut+Paste would
be a useful addition to the toolbox, especially for UK xmltv values, which can
be tedious 30+ character URIs being entered into boxes designed for short
numeric US values. Oh, and our call signs can be a lot longer than 5 characters too.

--

Mike Perkins