[mythtv-users] 0.25 on mac-mini

Brian Johnson serversage at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 18:12:03 UTC 2012

On Apr 23, 2012, at 10:31 AM, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> At 9:40 AM -0700 4/23/12, Sean Whitney wrote:

>>> Use the VDA Normal profile instead of VDA High Quality
>>>
>>> I have serious doubt that what did play in 0.24 now wouldn't play in
>>> 0.25 all things considered. Mac mini with a nvidia 320M use a Core 2
>>> Duo at 2.4GHz max, that doesn't have enough grunt for some of the
>>> videos created by the HD-PVR
>>>
>>> You must have changed something, such as the video type being decoded,
>>> the video profile used to decode.
>>>
>>> Were you using VDA with 0.24 too?
>> I've tried all the VDA (normal, slim) profiles with basically similar
>> results.  I was using the blit (xv-blit or quartz-blit) with the mini
>> prior to this.  I don't think the version of 0.24 had the VDA profile
>> included, or if it did I wasn't using it.
>>
>> As for 1080 playback there were occasion blips or slow downs but it was
>> barely noticeable with 0.24 but now with 0.25 the 1080 content isn't
>> watchable.
>
> Top posting fixed.
>
> Are you rolling your own (osx-packager[-qtsdk].pl)?  It would be interesting to see if a 32 bit version using Quartz can actually play these recordings.  I know the theory is that 64 bit is better, etc. But real life doesn't always pay attention to our theories!
>
> Craig

Just wanted to chime in and say I've noticed the same thing.  0.24 on my identical Mac Mini played back everything flawlessly.  I have an HD-PVR and an HDHomeRun single.

0.25 playback stutters from time to time - though I wouldn't say it makes mine unwatchable.  I do notice that it gets worse over time and restarting mythfrontend alleviates it for a bit.  I honestly have been too busy lately to even think about looking into it, or I'd have filed a bug report with a log by now.  I currently use VDA Normal, though I have tried all the VDA profiles with no luck.

-Brian