[mythtv-users] Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one?

Dan Littlejohn dan.littlejohn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 03:40:52 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Scott & Nicole Harris
> <snharris99 at live.com> wrote:
> > It doesn't actually have *any* of that.  It has the ability to select an
> > album or artist and "add" or "replace tracks", thereby adding it to the
> > current playlist.  It does not have the ability to simply select
> something
> > and have it play.
>
> I guess I honestly don't understand the distinction.  MythMusic .24
> and earlier also always had a "current playlist".  Selecting something
> from the music tree would add that to the current play list, just like
> add tracks does in .25.
>
> > I don't like it, you do, that's cool; not sure about calling those of us
> who
> > don’t and are looking for options insane though.  Personally, I'd
> probably
> > *love* the new version with the simple addition of directory browsing as
> > opposed to being forced to use meta tags.
>
> It just seems like so much discussion on this list is being spent on
> how to use something other than mythtv for music rather than coming up
> with a clear and concise list of tweaks needed.
>
> Something like:
>
>  1.  There should be a top level menu entry called Path which can
> browse music by filesystem path.
>  2.  There should be a single key press to get to the tree view, with
> a default binding of "3"
>  3.  "All Tracks" should be a selectable object to add all tracks to
> the playlist
>  4.  Any list longer than ~100 entries should automatically subdivide
> into sublists
>
> Anything else?
>
> Eric

I think the biggest feedback that I am reading that jumps out at me is that
the MythMusic UI is not intuitive.  Here is my feedback from my first
attempt to use it.  When I first went into MythMusic it was disorienting.
First thing I tried was to just press play.  Nothing happened.  Ok, I need
to go somewhere and select something.  With the navigation buttons I was
not able to go anywhere.  And so I quit.  I would not be surprised if this
is what most people do, especially at a WAF level.  Personally, I don't
want to have to memorize keys to a vi editor level to play music.  Now
contrast that with MythVideo.  You open the tool and it provides a list of
folders.  You navigate through the folders and video entries and press
play.  The video starts playing.

Dan