[mythtv-users] Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 14:33:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> But doesn't it do that already?  As far as I can tell, that's exactly
>>> how it works now, just like it did in .24.
>>>
>>> I really feel like I'm missing something, because I just don't
>>> understand how you see the .25 "playlist model" as any different than
>>> it was in .24.
>>>
>>> Eric
>>
>> in 0.24 I *never* used playlists. not once. and I had no problem playing music.
>> now, when and if I'm able to find what I want to play, I have to add
>> to a playlist, jump around to that playlist, etc. just to play an
>> album that in 0.24 took one button, select.
>
> But in .24 when you selected an album, it put that album on the
> current (un-named) playlist.
>
> You may not have used named playlists, but there definitely was always
> a current playlist.

OOOOH!!! your confusing a playlist with a play queue!

In 0.24 you could go through the tree as you had it set (directory,
artists, etc), find what you want to play and click "select" and it
would start playing from that track or if on a higher tree element,
everything under that element. If I wanted to play something else I
would just find it  and again press select and whatever was currently
playing would stop and the new item would play. This is more akin to a
"play queue" than a playlist, in, well, every other music playing
software I've ever used.

You could also specifically create a playlist, select tracks to be
added to that playlist, and then any time you went into MythMusic that
playlist would be available to be played. Again, how this works in
basically every other music playing software.

But these are/were two totally different things.

in 0.25, EVERYTHING is done through a playlist, the concept of a play
queue as used in other music software, is implemented in 0.25 as a
playlist.

In theory this is fine, in practice, at least as implemented in 0.25
currently, this does not work well, it is cumbersome to use, even
AFTER you understand that his is how it works.

Now understand, there are multiple things going on with the complaints
about 0.25.

First, a wholesale change as to how MythMusic worked with little to no
request for input from users as to how they use MythMusic.

Second, a HUGE change was made to MythMusic with little to no
documentation as to how things work now, much confusion ensued since
few could figure it out, on top of having a completely different
method for how things work.

Third, what felt like little to no attempt by the previous developer
to address the issues.

Many ideas were thrown out in the last few years on the users and dev
list before Paul H commited his work, very little seems to have been
listened to, Paul went forward and implemented a system that works for
him (apparently) with what seems like no concern with any other users.

We're not saying what Paul did was totally useless, what we're saying
is it still needs a lot of work and should not have been released as
MythMusic and part of 0.25. Perhaps it should have been a separate
plugin, say MythMusic2, that would allow some users to install it and
others to continue to use the older version. Allow MythMusic2 to go
through some more development before it completely replaces the
previous plugin that worked for so many.

Hopefully someone will want to pick up the reigns and move MythMusic
forward to something useful, but until then, a way to revert to the
old plugin would be quite nice.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!