[mythtv-users] Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 15:02:59 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> OOOOH!!! your confusing a playlist with a play queue!
>
> In a play queue, once a track is played, it's de-queued and forgotten.
>  Is that what all this is about?  The fact that after you play an
> album it's still in the list?

Not exactly, though I get where you're going.
the queue in essence, yes, is a playlist, temporary though and with
the idea that some of the other more powerful features of a playlist
are not implemented in exchange for ease of use. it's not always the
ideal way of working with music playback, which is where the more
powerful playlists come in, but it is meant to make it easy for the
user to play back content quickly. was this play queue "perfect" in
0.24, no, but it was easy and quick and for 90% of the time using
MythMusic it worked quite well.

Part of how that went though was the ease of use of starting music
playback with the queue, since no extra effort was needed to use it,
you just highlight what you want to listen to and click "ok" and it
would be added to this play queue and music starts coming out of your
speakers.

The essential complaint to *this aspect* of 0.25 is that it is much
more cumbersome to get music to play quickly once the user has found
what they want to play because this the queue was replaced by a
playlist that requires much more interaction.

As a side note to your comment as well: with the old queue, you could
jump forward and back within the current queued list (though you could
not see what was before or after your first track), just that if you
selected something else to listen to in the selection tree the current
queue would be forgotten and the new selection replaced it and would
immediately begin playing.

I'll make this standard disclaimer again: we're not saying the old
plugin was perfect, and we are not saying the new plugin is worthless,
what we are saying is that the added features of the new plugin should
not have meant total loss of the good features of the old plugin.
While the old one was not perfect, many users found it worked quite
well in many ways and the total loss of that for the new plugin should
not have been forced how it was since the new plugin is not quite
ready and should probably have been put off until 0.26.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!