[mythtv-users] Advice on best way to proceed required

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Apr 26 17:15:44 UTC 2012

On 4/26/2012 11:20, Alan Chandler wrote:
> Firstly, is there any way to continue with an 0.24 backend and a 0.25
> front end. (such as run some database update script)?

No.

> Secondly, are there any Squeeze Backports of 0.25 to happen soon?

Would have to ask the Debian packagers.

> Thirdly, how hard is it to compile from source, and if I do that are
> the dependant packages in Squeeze advanced enough to do so?

Not hard.  Download the source, ./configure, make, make install.

> Fourthly, how does my database get updated these 35 schema versions -
> and can I do that without loosing my recording schedules?

Any instance of 'mythtv-setup' will upgrade the database, and will ask
for permission before proceeding.  The master backend only is allowed to
upgrade the database (not slave backends).  If run from a terminal, it
will ask for permission before proceeding.  If not, it will assume you
want to do so, and update anyway.  When you update, it will first make a
dump of the existing database for recovery purposes, and the step
through all the changes needed to convert your database to current.