[mythtv-users] myth .25 verdict?

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 27 15:19:09 UTC 2012

On 4/27/2012 2:50 AM, "Michael T. Dean"<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> >  Yea, I went around on the list about this before... it started
>> >  happening sometime between .23 and .24... but I was never able to fix
>> >  it.  Or get a lead on what was causing it, be it myth or config
>> >  related.  But it sure seemed like a bug to me that it wouldn't realize
>> >  it was already recording the exact same show, on the same channel.  I
>> >  even did  a clean install after a HD failure, and it was still
>> >  happening.
>> >
>> >  Not worth discussing again until I upgrade to current, at this point, however.
>> >
> This is a known issue.  If you have multiple channels on which the exact
> same episode of a show airs at the exact same time, but the channels
> have different callsigns, MythTV will end up recording all of the
> showings from the "different" (according to your configuration--since
> they have different callsigns) channels (that probably aren't different
> in reality).
>
> Generally, this only happens when the channels actually air the exact
> same content all the time--meaning they are the same channel on
> different video sources (or, perhaps, an SDTV and HDTV version of the
> same channel).  If this is the case--if the schedule on both channels is
> identical all the time--change both to have the same callsign or make
> the "unwanted" version (i.e. SDTV version) not visible or delete that
> channel or ...
>
> Use mythtv-setup or MythWeb channel editor to edit the callsigns.
>
> Mike

Does this happen if you select 'Record any time from channel XXX', or
only when selecting 'Record any time on any channel'?

This would be an upgrade deal killer for me (still running 0.21-fixes).
  I have several different channel sets that air the same programs (same
program ID), but only some of the time.  I choose which channel I want
any particular recording from.  At other times, these channels air
different programs, so I want the ability to record them.  I cannot just
hide these channels, because they are not duplicate channels, they just
sometimes carry the same programming (ie, during prime time).

Jay