[mythtv-users] Number of virtual tuners

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Apr 29 11:38:47 UTC 2012

Pieter De Wit wrote:

>I think "we" should have a limit of per card:
>
>My card (1) can't do more than 2:

Yes, each installation will have limits - in your case it appears due
to the card, for others it's disk bandwidth, and there are other
factors that can limit the total recordings/system or recording/card
that can be done.

The discussion is about a compiled in limit that restricts the users
ability to decide how many virtual tuners they want/can use/is
supported by their hardware. For some users, this artificial limit of
5 is an issue - so there's a discussion as to whether this needs to
be raised (or removed ?), and what it should be. It will in no way
force anyone to use more virtual tuners than they want/their system
will support - but if the limit is made too high, then novice users
may set it too high due to ignorance of the issues involved and
experience poor performance or other problems.

--
Simon Hobson