[mythtv-users] schedulesdirect not working

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Mon Apr 30 18:24:57 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 14:00 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:

> > Not trying to stomp on the activity in your Trac ticket,
> > but your 2nd POST is returning realm="gregandeva.net"
> > instead of the correct realm="TMSWebServiceRealm".

My ticket on this issue has been closed as an Upstream Bug.

It turns out that this is a bug in Qt version 4.7.1, which happens to be
the version that comes with Fedora 14. If your SchedulesDirect username
has an "@" in it, then it will use the part to the right of the @ as the
realm, which is totally broken. For me, I haven't any idea what this
even means, and I've had the same SD username (and the same version of
Qt) for a long time now.

But I would like to express my appreciation to beirdo for the amount of
time he put into figuring this out. Who would have thought that a
graphical tool kit would cause a bug in logging into a web site from a
command line application?

As I understand it, there are three ways to work around this:

1) Use a SchedulesDirect username that doesn't have an @-sign in it.
2) Use a different version of Qt (the problem is specific to 4.7.1)
3) Use something other than mythfilldatabase to do the grabbing, then
use "mythfilldatabase --file" to load the data.

Right now I am using #3, but will switch to #1 as soon as I have time to
play with it. In the longer term, I am well aware that Fedora 14 is past
end-of-life, but upgrading the OS on my backend is a huge project that I
haven't got time for now, and probably won't for a couple of months
(I'll wait until Fedora 17 is released), and otherwise, upgrading Qt is
very difficult, so I will use the workarounds until I find time for the
"correct" fix.

--Greg