[mythtv-users] A Plea to the Programmers

Lee Maisel maisel at lobo.net
Wed Aug 1 15:34:13 UTC 2012

Hi!

My wife is blind, and severely physically handicapped. She does enjoy
her TV and music. She is able to listen to her shows, etc. She easily
learns the functions of remote controls, etc. However, what is really
needed is someone to write a voice add-on for MythBuntu.

It should be very simple, using Festival or whatever speech program they
want. All that's needed really is for whatever text that happens to be
highlighted on the screen/menu/etc to be spoken!

She can easily get lost in the menus and frustrated because if nobody
sighted is around, she has no idea what the TV is doing because she
can't see it!

If someone would just write a simple addon to speak whatever is
highlighted, that would be perfect for her.

I would, but I'm no programmer.

So I'm asking, if anyone feels like taking it on, please let me know.
You would make her VERY happy, and end a whole lot of frustration for her.

We are using the latest MythBuntu.

Thank you!