[mythtv-users] Proper way to add new channels in scan

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Thu Aug 2 14:31:28 UTC 2012

Around about 02/08/12 15:14, Ian Evans typed ...
> Bringing this back to Myth...any idea how to add the new channels
> without affecting the old?

   I had a major play in this area last month when my area had it's part of
the UK digital switchover (all analogue turned off).

   I personally found the <ignore> options always did nothing (0.24-fixes).
  At least, nothing I noticed!

   That said, I began to use a modified version of a script I found on the
MythTV wiki that dumps my custom settings for DVB channels (like XMLTVID,
comm-flagging, channel number, etc.) out of the SQL to a file, keyed on the
OTA channel callsign.

   Then I delete all DVB channels, rescan [existing transports], and
re-import the custom settings.  If I think there's more than one channel's
worth of changes, that's what I'll do.

   You then just have to re-fetch guide data, as I think they're held by
[mostly arbitrary] chanid.  *That* said, using this method gives me ptryy
much the same chanids for each channel as before, so last time I did it the
guide data remained valid.

   Scripts here:

http://fnxweb.com/blog/2012/06/16/mythtv-and-the-uk-digital-switchover/

   You'll see the fields I care about being stored.

   (I've since modified my local copy to renumber any new channels out of
the way (+10000) of my satellite box, which effectively lays claim to
100-999.  Our interesting DVB is mostly 1-99 at the moment.)

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature