[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime fails to record certain channels (Cable Card)

James Purl convbox at jamespurl.com
Sun Aug 5 09:28:42 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 9:24 AM, James Purl <convbox at jamespurl.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 6:08 AM, Lee Koloszyc <pantslessape at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 5:16 AM, James Purl <convbox at jamespurl.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I will begin digging deeper this weekend--just wanted to see if there
>>> was a "Oh yeah, you have to do -blank- to the channel or tuner setup" out
>>> there.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> James
>>>

>> Have you updated to the latest firmware on the HDHR Prime.  I recall
>> something similar happening with the original firmware I had on my Prime.
>> I updated at that point and it has worked fine since.
>>
>> Lee
>>
>> Yeah, when I downloaded the latest Windows installer and ran it, it
> immediately upgraded the firmware on the Prime to 20120405. I suspect I'm
> just finding an edge-case Myth issue with my system.  When I get a chance,
> I'll turn up the logging and see what the backend says when it is failing.
> Also, as a kluge to have to stop checking that the Prime doesn't get
> assigned one of the bad channels (which I then add an override to the
> recording to have it "prefer" one of the CETON inputs), I'm gonna setup an
> extra video source with the bad channels set to "not visible".

Just an FYI -

I dug deeper by turning on verbose record logging on the backend and tuned
in those channels on the Prime, along with working channels. Saw "No valid
DTV info, ATSC maj(0) min(0), MPEG pn(-1)" when there was a problem.
Problem turned out to be the Myth channel setup. I had added these extra
Olympics channels by hand via the channel editor instead of pulling from
schedules direct (because I wasn't sure if it would reset the "visible"
flags I had gone through and set for non copy-freely stuff).  When I
compared a working Prime channel with new ones in the DB, I noticed some
columns not set: serviceid, mplexid, atsc_major_chan and atsc_minor_chan.
 I saved a backup of my channel table and manually updated the fields (only
4 channels in total).  Everything works on all tuners now! I guess also,
that the CETON tuner type is more forgiving, relying only on freqid as it
has been tuning those channels since I added them.