[mythtv-users] Any problem with main frontend also being household network server?

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 09:28:14 UTC 2012

On 08/08/2012 10:08, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 08/08/12 09:49, Damian wrote:
>>
>> The negatives, to me, seem to be that I'd be replacing 1 box with 2
>> boxes. One
>> frontend machine and one network server (which I assume would also be
>> the myth
>> backend .. otherwise it would be 2 'always on' machines, which just
>> seems nuts).
>> 2 machines rather than one means both more expense and more space
>> needed (when
>> we are already losing space due to the garage conversion.
>>
> Huh? The mythtv backend is just a process running on your server. No
> need to invent another box. If it's on 24x7 and it holds the storage
> (plus mysql, of course) then that's the place to put your backend.

Hi Mike,

Yes, I assumed the server and the backend would be on the same machine.
I must have been unclear in my email. My question is, Is there any good
reason why the main frontend should be a different machine (to the
backend and network server) or can I have them all in one quiet
attractive box that lives on the book case?

Damian