[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Aug 9 08:52:05 UTC 2012

Zitat von Warpme <warpme at o2.pl>:

> On 8/8/12 8:02 PM, Pieter De Wit wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> These kinds of errors often indicate a deadlock in mythbackend.  A
>>> number of deadlocks have recently been found and fixed, with the fixes
>>> in the 0.26 beta.  These issues have been around for a long time, and
>>> they tend to be triggered by less predictable real-time events like
>>> watching Live TV or EIT updates.
>>>
>>> You could try out 0.26-beta (being sure to have a DB backup first),
>>> but that has its own set of risks.
>>>
>>> Jim
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I have often wondered how many of the dev's (and users) out there
>> are using LiveTV, for LiveTV. Since 0.25 I have seen an increase in
>> the number of issues on LiveTV. One (or more - the one I am
>> thinking about is the program switch over freezing bug - it's still
>> in 0.26) got reported and I added comments, but it does appear that
>> the number of people (and dev's ?) watching TV is declining ?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Pieter
>>
> I can only speak for myself, but for me every new release since 0.24
> is BIG improvement in LiveTV.
> While I agree with PVR arguments, IMHO stable LiveTV is critical for
> of new users adoption (not small subset of new users who wants to
> convert STB+MediaPlayer to converged system). This is in-fact
> initial promise of MythTV: convergence.
> Despite some dev's stated about rare LiveTV usage - looking on 0.25
> & 0.26 commits - a lot of effort was devoted to improve LiveTV.
> For me 0.25's major improvement is Daniel's rec2 branch merger.
> 0.26's major improvement is EIT and stability improvements. I
> CLEARLY see those improvements over poor 0.24.
> Currently I have 5 phy tuners/20 virtual doing avg. 30-50 rec per day.
> With stable tuners (like e.g. ptg7301) last time statistics was
> about 1 failed recording per 400-600 recordings.
> I use LiveTV daily and 0.25 is already almost perfect for LiveTV
> (with some tuning like avoiding active EIT when LiveTV is used).
> Recently I started using BE with all latest recording/EIT subsystem
> improvements and LiveTV seems to be perfect (few days of testing so
> knocking wood).
> This is great for MythTV future, as flawless LiveTV is much more
> important for MythTV "buy-in" than many ppl are thinking/stating...

I wish I could agree, but for me LiveTV has gotten much more instable
since 0.25 and this didn't improve with -fixes either. I'm curious to
test 0.26 if that improves anything, since I didn't have time to track
the issues down and report them back yet. That's why I didn't complain
yet, it's useless if cannot provide more details.
Right now it's pretty much hit-and-miss whether LiveTV works, which is
kinda annoying with watching the Olympics, which is a perfect use case
for LiveTV for me. Even worse, once it fails, I can usually only
recover the BE/FE by a reboot.

> Regarding Your LiveTV issue I'll start with 2 photosynthesis:
> -Your setup is "unfortunate" in context of existing mythtv bugs (and
> probably You can play little with this)

Probably.

> -Your underlying infrastructure (OS, HW/tuners/drivers) are less
> stable than should be

Unlikely, if only the MythTV version changed that turned LiveTV from
mostly stable to mostly unstable.
--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project