[mythtv-users] HDHR fails

Adrian Saul sgtbundy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 10:03:04 UTC 2012

In my experience not all GigE switches are equal.   I had a no-name
brand GigE switch that would choke once you tried to push any more than
30MB/s between machines (the only two on the switch).  I replaced that
with a 5 port Netgear and could benchmark 100MB/s over NFS with no other
changes.   Down the track I started getting networking issues that
appeared to be packet drops under load and after trying a few NIC
changes was about to blame my home cabling job until I thought to take
the switch out of the mix.  Somehow the switch was dropping packets but
being unmanaged I had no stats to tell me that other than what appeared
on the hosts.

TL;DR - buy a decent quality switch, managed if you can afford it.