[mythtv-users] HDHR fails

Leigh Anthony mythtv at theanthonys.net
Mon Aug 13 00:23:29 UTC 2012

True - especially about not using IP to connect - I had problems for ages because I did that - somewhere between for seconds and 5 minutes in, the recording would just cut off.

Is the self-assigned address consistent?  Otherwise you'll need nmap to find it (for firmware upgrades etc).

I got a bit wrapped up in my own little world - I serve dhcp from my myth box because it allows local DNS and PXE booting which my internet router doesn't. When work laptops  come home, they PXE boot mythbuntu off the network and run as frontends - no need for USB keys or to touch the laptops' hard disks.  That also works well off even just 100mbit links.

If you're not doing DHCP/DNS however, adding dhcp might be more trouble than its worth.