[mythtv-users] A plea for some consideration for the poor suffering MythTV users

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 13 14:55:23 UTC 2012

On 08/13/2012 10:25 AM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 5:43 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> IMHO, distro choice for a MythTV system should be made according to the
>> old adage:  "Use the right tool for the job."  I have a list of the 3
>> worst-possible choices of distro for use with MythTV, but unfortunately it
>> seems a lot of users like to use 2 of them.  In so doing, they're only
>> making things hard on themselves, so I suppose if they like to waste their
>> own time/energy, more power to them.
>>
> But I *like* CentOS :)
>
> I imagine it is on your list.

Hehe, it's not on my "worst 3" list.

>    That being said, my CentOS based system is
> working (I'm more familiar with Redhat/Fedora based distributions and like
> the relative stability CentOS provides compared to the fast moving Fedora).
>   I've also had to do my share of wasting time and energy to get it working
> at times.  I also don't touch it once it is working until something in the
> MythTV minimum requirements forces me to move (QT)

Aren't there MythTV packages for CentOS available through RPM Fusion?
If so, it's probably on the lower-end of the "any Red-Hat-based distro
with which you can use the RPM Fusion repos" in my top-3 distributions
to use for MythTV list.  The only reason it (and, similarly RHEL) is on
the lower end of the RPM Fusion distros list is because it tends to have
some old versions of libraries and system components which are used with
MythTV, which may make it challenging to use with a "cutting-edge media
center application".  But, if you're willing to work around or live with
the limitations, CentOS/RHEL aren't a terrible choice of distro.

Mike