[mythtv-users] Airplay alternative?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 01:53:12 UTC 2012

>> > For videos, there's no "push" solution like Apple TV that I know of.
>> > Most other solutions are "pull" only such as UPnP or DLNA.
>>
>> FWIW, Miracast does this.
>>
>> Mike
>
> I have had some success using Rygel as a media renderer and Bubble upnp on my
> android phone (Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean).  Works ok except that video
> or pictures don't rotate or scale to fit when played back.

There's also Plex which I think is similar to Bubble UPnP in that you
install some server-side software and then use a Plex client on a PC
or mobile phone to access the content. I have used it and it's OK and
from the reports I've seen it seems to be the most capable. The only
issue I have with it is that when playing on an Android there is no
simple way to fast fwd/rev by a set number of seconds - you have to
drag a tiny scrollbar with your finger and hope for the best that you
release it at the right spot.