[mythtv-users] Disk space for frontend-only machine

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 06:48:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 8/16/2012 00:20, Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have just moved from many years of a mythtv backend/frontend combo
>>> so a new setup which has a dedicated backend + multiple frontends.
>>> I've reused the old combo disk in one of the frontends which is a
>>> 1.5TB disk. But I'm thinking that must be a total waste. How much disk
>>> space does a frontend-only machine need? Surely it only needs a small
>>> disk of 20GB or less to run the O/S and MythTV? Does anything else
>>> ever get stored on a frontend?
>>

>> You are right, but you could perhaps use it to store videos or
>> something (query: can you use a slave backend simply for a video
>> storage group?)
>

> Slave backends are expected to have tuners. If you just want access to
> storage, use mythmediaserver.

hey I hadn't heard of that! Upon investigation I guess that's because
it is new in 0.25 and I am in 0.24 ludditeville :)

> Better to simply put the drive in the master
> backend, and let the dedicated frontend be turned on and off at will.

I agree. There are netboot methods covered in this thread, but if you
don't want that, it's actually quite hard to find a 20 or 40G hard
drive to use as a system disk these days. SSDs come in smaller sizes
and are a good use case for a frontend (silent, fast to boot), but can
also be more expensive.