[mythtv-users] mythmote App and minimyth

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Aug 16 16:12:44 UTC 2012

On 16/08/12 16:05, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 16/08/2012 15:42, Mike Perkins wrote:
>>>
>>> So this living-room appliance needs settings made that cannot be
>>> performed though it's usual interface? Someone has to access the
>>> command line and provoke the machine into displaying mythtv-setup
>>> in place of mythfrontend briefly to make the configuration change
>>> and then provoke it into redisplaying mythfrontend? That doesn't
>>> sound like an ideal design either. Or should minimyth provide a normal
>>> desktop from which the user had to start mythfrontend each time
>>> the machine is booted. Again not a great design.
>>>
>> Er, no. To access the backend setup parameters, provided that the slave
>> backend is activated in the tftpboot config file, there's a menu option
>> available once the front end has booted up. This allows you to stop the
>> backend, run mythtv-setup and restart the backend.
>
> Oh ok, a neat feature, but then that means you have to run a possibly,
> otherwise unnecessary slave backend to be able to set a frontend
> setting. I wasn't intending to criticise mimimyth
> with my comment. I was more trying to rebuff the "not including
> apps is a terrible design choice" comment, suggesting that the need
> for the app is more the problem.

I would rather suggest that this indicates that this particular setting is in
the wrong place.

It's much like having to fire up the front end (on the master backend that lives
in a cupboard) in order to select a theme so that you can then shut it down in
order to set up the backend properly... the default Terra theme is unusable (IMHO).

--

Mike Perkins