[mythtv-users] help moving recordings to video

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 17 15:11:06 UTC 2012

On 08/17/2012 10:29 AM, mikkel wrote:

> So, you support the use of mythvidexport.py?

Yes. Very much so.  Raymond Wagner did a great job making that script,
which is extremely useful.

And the use of Video Library for anything other than short-term storage
of shows to be watched & deleted from Watch Recordings--since it has a
much better UI for managing a lot of video (as you saw, scrolling
through lots of recordings and finding what you want to watch is
challenging in Watch Recordings).

A friend--who has been using MythTV with me since 0.13 days, so was used
to having everything in Watch Recordings (MythVideo/Video Library was
very different back then and didn't have a lot of its current
capabilities)--asked me about how to import some of the kids' shows he
had ripped from DVD to Watch Recordings, along with other episodes in
the series he had recorded.  He really only wanted to group all the kids
shows together into an area that made it easy for the kids to access.  I
told him he was dong it wrong and should move the recordings to Video
Library, along with the DVD rips, and helped him set it up using
mythvidexport.py.  When done, he liked the setup much better than Watch
Recordings.  And, he was even able to set up the default filter on the
kids' MythTV frontend to show the Kids videos, only.  At that
point--when a "real" user began singing its praises--I decided the
approach was one more people should be using, and have been trying to
show others how nice it can be ever since.  (Sometimes I'm not sure
whether an approach makes sense to me, but would be difficult/nonsense
for "real" users--as I'm more of a hacker who spends too much time on
his systems than someone who just wants to use MythTV.)

Mike