[mythtv-users] HVR4000 firmware on Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) 64bit

Paul Kendall pkendall64 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 04:26:39 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM, plainface boy
<plainfaceboy at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi - I've upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 (to let me use the later kernel which
> will hopefuilly fix the bugs in swithcing channels with this card), but not
> sure how to install the firmware.
> I was using 1.26.90.0 as at
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-4000#Firmware_v1.26.90.0
> which worked fine on Lucid (10.04), and Mythtv 0.25.
> I tried installing using the same file etc but didn't work - realised then I
> should probably be using the 64 bit version. Assumed I would need different
> values for the 'skip' and 'count' but can't work out what they should be
> form the file  - from looking at the hcwbda.sys file, it is obviosuly
> different and the start/end strings (discussed in
> http://www.mythtvtalk.com/firmware-update-hauppauge-nova-hd-s2-hvr-4000-a-12058/)
> are in different place (and the end string first and vice versa etc).
> I'm hoping someone might be able to help - I've seen links where people have
> reported it working 64 but Ubuntu - to save me messing about too mucb with
> trial and error!
> Thanks.

You should be able to use the firmware from your old version of ubuntu
as it doesn't
have anything to with 64bit or 32bit.  It's the firmware for the card.
What I have found
is that I have to reverse apply a patch that was made to tidy things
up in the hvr-4000
code as it won't lock on to any DVB signals without it.

Can you provide some log output from dmesg and explain what the symptoms are?

Cheers,
Paul