[mythtv-users] Volume is reduced during commercials

Ray Parrish rparrish at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 19:52:42 UTC 2012

I have noticed a behavior similar to what the OP is describing:

Step 1. Recording starts with AC-3 2ch audio, so MythTV renders a PCM
2ch stream to send through audio output

NOTE: I have observed this behavior on my own setup by looking at the
indicators on my a/v receiver. I have upmixing disabled and Dolby
Digital Passthrough checked.

Step 2. Somewhere in the recording (possibly in a commercial), the
audio stream changes to 5.1ch. MythTV switches output to Dolby Digital
5.1

Step 3. When the main program returns from commercial, audio output
remains Dolby Digital, though 2-ch this time.

I have noticed that the rendered PCM stream does seem "louder" than
the same 2-ch audio passed through as AC-3.

To the original poster, does this explanation appear to work with your
observable information?

Thank you,
-Ray