[mythtv-users] more than 2 simultaneous HLS transcodes

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Aug 21 02:59:06 UTC 2012

* On Tue Aug 21, 2012 at 09:16:17AM +1000, Anthony Giggins wrote:
> > - /HLS/ORIGFILENAME.hlsd..m3u8

> >   - /HLS/ORIGFILENAME.hlsd.1920w.2800kv.128ka.m3u8
> >   - /HLS/ORIGFILENAME.hlsd.1024w.2000kv.96ka.m3u8
> >   - /HLS/ORIGFILENAME.hlsd.640w.1000kv.64ka.m3u8

> >   - /HLS/ORIGFILENAME.hlsd.0w.1000kv.64ka.m3u8

> Hi Chris,
>
> Given the above if I wanted to manually craft a HLS stream without an audio
> only stream I would just need to remove the references to
> /HLS/ORIGFILENAME.hlsd.0w.1000kv.64ka.m3u8 from with the
> /HLS/ORIGFILENAME.hlsd.m3u8 meta playlist?

Once this is in place, if you didn't care about the player being
able to switch between various bitrates and/or resolutions or
the audio-only stream, then you could just hit one of the middle
.m3u8 URLs directly rather than the first .hlsd.m3u8 URL.

I haven't given the configuration a lot of thought yet, but I
like what George mentioned about just enabling/disabling the
default profiles included in the .hlsd.m3u8 meta playlist.  If
the config worked that way, you could disable the audio-only
profile.

You'll also be able to craft your own stream specifying the
video and audio bitrates and resolution, so instead of having
to specify those as part of the API call for AddLiveStream,
now you'll just request:

/HLS/ORIGFILENAME.hlsd.WIDTHw.HEIGHh.VIDEOBITRATEkv.AUDIOBITRATEka.(m3u8|SEGMENTNUMBERs.ts)

I'll have some defaults like 640 width, auto height, etc.,
so you would get a valid stream if you left some fields out.  If
you leave all of the fields out, you'd get the meta playlist.

--
Chris