[mythtv-users] HDPVR switching provider (how to change listing) ? change to cable card.

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 16:41:41 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Oz Dror <odror7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been using HDPVR with dish. I will be switching to Time Warner.
> If I decide to use a cable-card. Which method is the best. HDhomerun v.s.
> Built in PCI card (?which one is best)  or Other. Will I be able to record
> HBO.

While each franchise is unique, TWC corporate policy is to set copy-once
on almost all content.  You will not be able to record HBO (or much of
anything other than the "locals" and government access channels) with
a CableCARD on Time Warner (some exceptions exist) using MythTV,
since MythTV does not support the DRM that TWC requires.

The usual solution for accessing copy-once content on TWC is to do
exactly what you do with Dish, use a HDPVR and leverage the
analogue copy capabilities of the device.

Gary