[mythtv-users] New Mac OS X Build Process--MacPorts

Jean-Yves Avenard jean-yves at avenard.org
Tue Aug 21 20:20:23 UTC 2012

On 21 August 2012 18:21, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
> Why a new build process for OS X; we have osx-packager-sdk.pl?
>
> The current Perl-based build process is great for producing a self-contained
> Mac frontend. But, if you are like me and want to run the backend on OS X,
> then having the essential programs packaged deep in an application bundle is
> less than ideal. The MacPorts distribution aims to make it much easier to
> install the backend and run it in a production mode:

While it's nice to have alternatives, I should have that:

If you're willing to not use the bundle, and instead use the build
directory (located in .osx-packager/buld), so basically running it
exactly as what macport does
then:

> =>Full support of the Perl/python bindings. This means that standard Myth
> backup, optimization, and metadata functions will work.

ditto

> =>Install and run Myth like other 'server-type' software such as MySQL,
> file-sharing, web-serving, etc. Control the Myth backend with standard OS X
> functions (launchctl) and have the system start automatically during the
> boot process.

that I haven't done. I start it manually

> =>Provide the full suite of myth programs, if you need them, like
> mythmetadatalookup, mythutil, etc.

ditto

> The MacPorts port ("mythtv-core.25") builds Myth 0.25.2, as of July 31, and
> includes support for most everything except Myth's plugins. It includes the
> new Http Live Streaming server as well as the Perl and Python bindings
> mentioned above.  However, there is no Video for Linux on OS X so the
> various versions of the HDHomerun is the primary supported tuner.  It _may_
> be possible to re-enable Firewire support if there is interest.

mythplugins, HTTP Live Streaming server, all work using the perl builder

> Regarding the plugins, I have an experimental port that builds all plugins
> except for MythNetvision.  I need another support library commited to
> MacPorts to get MNV working and need to do some testing and tweaking.

most plugins are supported with the perl builder