[mythtv-users] New Mac OS X Build Process--MacPorts

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue Aug 21 21:07:20 UTC 2012

At 1:24 PM -0700 8/21/12, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> says:
>>  Please let me know if you try it out.
>
>Good News: On a late 2008 MacBook Pro running 10.6 the port took under
>an hour to build including all dependencies. As I hoped mythfrontend
>properly inherited the settings of the prebuilt binary, and did quick
>successful tests of the ffmpeg and VDA decoders with MPEG-2 and h.264
>recordings.

Very good!

>I look forward to, once it becomes a "real" OS X packaged
>application, being able to modify Info.plist to work around a minor
>issue
>(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/509545#509545) as
>I do with the prebuilt binary.

Sorry, the Perl script builds the frontend bundle.  I *think* there
is a way to build one from the MacPorts programs but I haven't
explored it or tested.  As JYA mentioned, the Perl/Python bindings
would need special handling.

>Bad News: After I sent my previous message I realized that having a
>second slave backend on for jobs might be useful, so ran
>mythtv-setup. Unfortunately it hangs once I select any entry except
>Channel Editor; that hangs if I choose one of the listed
>channels. (They all appear, so it is obviously talking to the database
>correctly.) I ran it with -v network,socket,system and database,gui
>but no error message appears after the hang.

In the frontend, go into Setup>Setup>Appearance and change the Paint
Engine to Qt.  I suspect your menus will then work in mythtv-setup.
However, you'll likely get a blank screen, maybe saying "Please
Wait", if you try to watch videos with the Qt painter.  See
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10469

Craig