[mythtv-users] New Mac OS X Build Process--MacPorts

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Wed Aug 22 13:02:09 UTC 2012

At 1:37 AM -0700 8/22/12, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>I concentrated so much on look and feel in my last comparison of the
>prebuilt and MacPorts self-compiled mythfrontends that I completely
>neglected the completely unimportant topic of playback! Turns out here
>is a substantial difference. The MacPorts version uses 75% on Activity
>Monitor to play a MPEG-2 1080i recording with Kernel 2X deinterlacing;
>the prebuilt one uses about 115%. (Makes me now glad that for years
>I've only used self-compiled MythTV RPMs on Linux.) Being able to use
>VDA erases the gap; I see 45% with both frontends when playing a 720p
>h.264 file.

And this is on the 2008 MBP under 10.6?  I believe the
osx-packager.pl builds are debug (or profile) builds; MacPorts is a
"release" build.  Possibly some bit of code fits in cache that way
but not the other?

The other possibility might be Qt.  The maintainer for the Qt port
applies a LONG list of patches for the MacPorts build.  Maybe there
is some performance boost there?

More to the point, I'm just glad it works!

BTW, I suppose you've noticed that all the Myth logs go to
/opt/local/var/log/mythtv.25 ?  Frontend, too, if you use the
Applescript to start it.

Craig