[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 22 20:43:07 UTC 2012

On 08/22/2012 04:27 PM, Pieter De Wit wrote:
> IMHO, the viewing habits that you have, seems to be shared by a lot of
> people, including most dev's. This leads to, again, IMHO, the fact
> that you don't see the issues on LiveTV.

I can guarantee that's the case.  I stopped using Live TV the minute I
started using MythTV in February 2004.  Technically, I suppose you can
say I stopped using Live TV a few years before that--when I was setting
up my VCR to record shows I wanted to watch and was constantly shuffling
tapes.  Even back then, I didn't watch Live TV (and it was great to be
able to do what I wanted in the evenings without missing shows I wanted
to watch, while knowing that they'd be recorded for me by my VCR and its
simple timer).

So, yeah, I don't see Live TV issues in MythTV because I don't (and
won't ever again) use Live TV.  I don't mind if someone wants to spend
time working on/fixing/improving Live TV, but it won't be me--I'll leave
it to someone who actually uses Live TV.  As is the case with most
things in F/LOSS, it's up to someone who actually wants/needs the
feature to improve it.

Mike