[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Aug 22 21:02:47 UTC 2012

>> Oh - now I remember why we don't "just record everything" - Mike, take a
>> single tuner and setup two shows to record back-to-back, then, on another
>> channel, record another show at the same time....see what Myth does (using
>> 0.26 or any 0.25)
>>
>> Your (and other's) method would only work once that is fixed.
>>

> I'll need a better hint at what you're saying doesn't work.  Recording
> everything I might possibly want to watch works for me--which is why I have
> nearly 3 months of recorded TV (more than I will ever watch).
>
> And, FWIW, my "method" is, if you care enough to watch a show, tell MythTV
> you care to watch the show and it will take care of recording it for you.

I can't believe all the anti-live-tv sentiment here.  There are plenty of
reasons to watch live tv where scheduled recordings don't make much sense:

1. background noise:  I tune in to CNN while I work and just leave it on
most of the day with the volume low.

2. severe weather:  If I notice things are looking particularly bad, I tune
in to one of the local networks to see if they are saying anything about
it... may need to scan a few channels to find one that didn't just finish
talking about it.

3. breaking news: If I hear about something major going on, I flip through
the major networks/news channels to see if anyone is reporting it.

4. a change of pace:  I have a couple of dozen shows I record... but
sometimes I want something different/new so I channel hop, watching a few
minutes of this or that until I find something that keeps my interest.

5. KIDS!!  I don't know about your family, but my kids will watch just
about anything that airs on Disney and Nick... if I told them that live tv
wasn't an option, they'd give me a list a mile long of shows they want
recorded... I'd have two tuners running around the clock recording stuff
for the couple of hours /week they actually watch tv.  Far better to just
let them watch what is on, they don't complain, and I don't burn disk space
needlessly.  I just record a couple of their favorites so they always have
something... just in case.