[mythtv-users] HDPVR switching provider (how to change listing) ? change to cable card.

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Aug 23 00:53:31 UTC 2012

On 8/22/2012 14:41, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/21/2012 03:36 PM, Oz Dror wrote:
>> Thanks to both responses.
>>
>> Regarding the cable card. Is it possible to use a windows machine to
>> do the recording, but used mythtv to manage it with its nice UI.
>> Otherwise is there a better choice than HDPVR. (it has been over 3
>> years since I looked into changing my setup)
>
> For any broadcast marked with the "copy once" flag, recordings can only
> be used on the machine that does the copying.  Even if you use Windows
> Media Center to record it (as it supports copy-once CableCARD
> recordings), you'd only be able to watch it on that particular media
> center system--you can't watch it on any of the extenders.  The same
> holds true for TiVo recordings of copy-once shows.

I'm fairly certain 'copy once' content can be viewed by the extenders,
however that limits you to the Xbox 360 units on your local network.
You cannot access the content from another PC.  You cannot access the
content without a live connection to the cablecard and tuner.  You
cannot export the content for offline, mobile use.  TiVo has no secure
communication mechanism between units, so that content is limited to
that specific TiVo.

> Shows marked copy never can not be recorded by any device.

'copy never' content can be recorded by those devices, but in a highly
restricted manner.  You have something like a 90-minute rolling window
in which to watch the content, after which it will be rendered
inaccessible, if not immediately deleted.

However, Mike's point still stands.  In neither scenario can the content
be exported for use by MythTV.  It is limited to use only within that
protected system.