[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Ian Wilkinson null at sgtwilko.f9.co.uk
Fri Aug 24 01:02:33 UTC 2012

Thomas Mashos wrote:
<snip>
>> Please don't misunderstand, I'm not having a go at Myth or at the Myth
>> developers, you've done exceptionally well to build something that can
>> replace 98% of a commercial product.
>>
>> The fact is that most people who would want to use the software are not
>> developers, and so are likely to have different usage patterns/needs because
>> they don't think the same way as a developer.  They're not wrong to think
>> differently and you shouldn't be trying to tell them what to think (I've
>> tried several times, but perhaps you can explain to my wife when she wants
>> to watch the X-Factor live, why she has to go to the recordings list and not
>> LiveTV, her response? "But it is live now, so why can't I watch it from
>> LiveTV?").
>>

> Further, does you wife actually say that? Does a theme exist that
> calls it "Live TV"?

Sorry I think I had the phrase LiveTV in my head having read it so many
times in the rest of the thread.  You are, of course, correct that in
the theme I'm using on my main box it does say "Watch TV", but as I'm
sure you realised I was paraphrasing several conversations I'd had with
my wife, none of which were /exactly/ the same.

I'm sure you also realise what I'm getting at.  I have to tell her that
she can't use the "Watch TV" option to watch TV because either it will
stop something else from recording, or she'll miss the end of the show
because myth will chuck her out as it's starting to record the
XtraFactor on ITV2 on the tuner that's in use for Live TV because myth
wont just use the existing recording, or it will reschedule the xtra
factor or strictly come dancing, both of which she wants to watch that
same night because all her colleagues will be talking about them the
following morning.

All I'm saying is that it is unintuitive to say to someone, you can't
watch tv via the Watch TV option, you have to watch it from the "Media
Library".

Of course it does say "Live TV" on the recording group filter, just to
add to the little inconsistencies in Myth.
> Like it or not, sometimes the different isn't the best way to do
> something, and in that case I will most definitely tell someone the
> better way to do it.

Yes, and again my point was that for the majority of our usage, we use
myth in the way that the anti-LiveTV fraternity are advocating, but
there are valid cases for people wanting to use the "Watch TV" option
even if they don't apply to you and your requirements.  "The different"
as you put it, may be you, and not those of us that do use Live TV
occasionally.

Also the "best" only applies to a particular need, 5 years ago the best
vehicle for me was a nice small 3 door hot-hatch, I had no need of any
real space in the back, it had enough space in the boot for a little
luggage as I only needed to take at most myself and my wife, it was
sporty and fuel efficient (I miss it).

Now I've got a small people-carrier and am I'm wondering if it's big
enough as we're about to have our second child in September.

What was best 5 years ago, is different to what is best now, and might
well change in again once the baby gets here.

I can fully understand your argument if someone was trying to use a
hammer to put in a screw, but in this case we're just trying to put the
screw in with the provided screwdriver and you're turning round and
saying "Don't be stupid, here use a nail and a hammer".

Perhaps you can see why it comes across as arrogant and presumptuous to
those that ask for help with Live TV to be told that we're doing it
wrong and that we have to conform with you as what is best for you in
your situation is obviously best for everyone in their different situations.
Also, please note, we are not trying to tell you that you're wrong for
using myth the way you are doing, we just saying it's not the only
"best" way.

Again, no offence was intended, so please accept my apologies if any is
taken.

Ian.